WoD Denver Forums

Full Version: Nancy Drew, Ready For Duty! [attn: liz, jamie]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The other day Hector told Tamsin the story of Rabid Jack, Laughing Battle, and the Two Scary Old Ladies. He may have left out a detail or two but it was still a pretty good story. He might've wanted to tell The Story of How Hector Got His Pack Motorcycles All Around Because They're Badass but he managed to restrain himself. And it probably wasn't going to happen. They'd been in a public library, the Western History / Genealogy level.

The story'd ended, as so many stories in Celduin end, with a to be continued (the road's a thing that never ends [no it just goes on and on and home's a place that waits]), this time in the form of so now we need to find out this Church of the Covenent place and come on them like a fist. That is full of claws. And killing. Basically just a fist of killing, as needed. Tamsin'd wrinkled her forehead and then, trusting in her first grade teacher, she'd said: Hey, let's ask the librarians.

Because librarians know everything.

That had been step one.

And after, well. Tamsin, Tamsin has spent most of her Garou life packed with no moons, and she's picked up a few things since. Regardless of how useful the librarians are, when she meets Hector outside've the men's room, she hauls on his arm and says, "Let's go." And there'll be the remains of that silky-smooth persuasive kick in her voice, a girl it's hard not to listen to and believe, all wrapped around the this-night my-moon do itiveness .

"We've got shit to kick over or at least some questions to ask. I don't know if it's too big or what but I've also got a hunch - see," bad Sam Spade impression, a go!, "see, a hunch, that maybe we can use a certain rite to find it. Or its altar. Or maybe it's got a book. Hey! we need another boy. Then we can be Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys. Because I do not want to be Frodo. Or Sam. Do you think we're like Frodo and Sam? I guess we're kind of like the movie version of Legolas and Gimli. You're gonna be accused of pretty boy-itis for the rest of your life and I'm short and hilarious and I wear my hair in two braids or pig tails a lot and he wears his beard in oh. Maybe I can wield an ax. That would be so badass. Oh! Neil told me the best story about an ancestor of Glen's. You've gotta hear this..."

--

ooc: Liz! Here is the afore-mentioned IC-Investigation-Activation post. Here are the promised rolls (which I think you can use to squoosh us together with Those Guys Over There).

on the librarian because:
Tithe
[All right. First, Tamsin is like: Let's be Persuasive. Char + Subt.]
Dice: 6 d10 TN6 (1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9) ( success x 3 )

Witness
[Of course! Roll to your heart's content.]

Tithe
[Then she's like: Tell me things. Manip + Subt, I guess.]
Dice: 7 d10 TN5 (3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 7, 9) ( success x 4 )

Tithe
[And in case it should've been, like, Manip + Invest, here is that option]
Dice: 5 d10 TN5 (1, 1, 9, 10, 10) ( success x 3 )

And later

Tithe
[Now let's do: Intelligence + Investi, for general poking around.]
Dice: 4 d10 TN6 (2, 4, 9, 9) ( success x 2 )

Witness
[HALLELUJAH]

--Witnessed by CC.
House of the Covenant?

Librarians are the ideal resource but the first gives Tamsin a generous sort of look like: you're young enough to know about Google, right? before handing her off to the reference library at the city desk, who's a bit more generous. Maybe even a little pleased that a nice young woman has come in to consult the library about things. Why is she looking them up? Hmm.

House of the Covenant, no, she hasn't - oh, wait.

A bit of digging and she ties the name Tamsin has given her together with another, rather more benign and ordinary: House of God. Sets Tamsin up with the Denver Post archives database and even shows her how to use the microfilm machines if Tamsin wants to look back past this century, into the last.

Helps the Galliard with setting search parameters and limits, teaching her the magic of terms and connectors to include and exclude pieces of her search and, well, listen.

She starts finding stories.

2006: Local Church Doing It On Their Own - a small story about the House of the Covenant with a picture of Carlos and Opal Black standing in the frame of an old corrugated metal garage door, open to show a rows of shelves with necessities and a handful of homeless waiting in line. The story is rather long and details their conviction that the world will end within ten years, their adherance to a literal interpretation of the bible, but also their commitment to community and family. Carlos Black talks about how important stewardship of the earth is because god gave man dominion over it.

2008: an obituary for Opal Black, co-pastor and wife of Carlos Black. Services to be held at House of the Covenant on X date.

2011: A New Decade: and New Decades - a story about the expanding congregation of the House of God, a storefront church in Colfax. Picture of Carlos and Christina Black, and a discussion of their aggressive community outreach programs. The thrift store and soup kitchen. For years operated on a dime, but recently the congregation has doubled in size and they've raised enough for a professional kitchen and new digs. Their motto, Working While It's Day - is mentioned.

late 2011: The Secret Formula for Success? "It started, said Christina Black, with a discussion at the prayer circle for ex-convicts held without fail every Tuesday evening..." The story goes on to discuss the program started in response to the discussion among the members of the prayer circle about how hard it is to return to civilian life, build up job skills, et cetera, while resisting the lure of the streets. So rEEntry was born. They discuss success of the program and how they claim a 0% recidivism rate. The journalist who authored the story does mention that critics claim these statistics are inflated and invented, and that they do not count those who 'wash out' of the program at any stage.

Early 2012: The Healing Place gets fast-track approval through re-organized zoning board. Board member Jack Crenshaw says the treatment facility will be a boon to the neighborhood both economically and morally.

Late 2012: Fund raising for The Healing Place on track for 2014 opening.

May 2013: A Camp for Troubled Youth. A brief article about a small "boot camp" style camp serving about 20 or so at-risk or troubled youth. Spiritual advisor Carlos Black says that you have to get to them while they're young.

July 2013: Neighborhood activists oppose treatment facility, find little traction. The critics are dismissed by Jack Crenshaw as 'not in my backyard types.'