The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 33 - File: global.php(816) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(816) : eval()'d code 33 errorHandler->error
/global.php 816 eval
/showthread.php 24 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 874 - File: global.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 874 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5014 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5014 errorHandler->error
/global.php 874 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 6953 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 6953 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5041 is_member
/global.php 874 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "mybb" - Line: 1919 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1919 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_indicators.php 41 my_set_array_cookie
/showthread.php 626 mark_thread_read
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 700 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 700 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1063 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 705 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 705 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "useravatar" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(803) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(803) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 803 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "userstars" - Line: 11 - File: inc/functions_post.php(803) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(803) : eval()'d code 11 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 700 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 705 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "useravatar" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(803) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "userstars" - Line: 11 - File: inc/functions_post.php(803) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 6953 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_user.php 733 is_member
/inc/functions_post.php 399 purgespammer_show
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(467) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(467) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 467 eval
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(467) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 743 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 743 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "invisible" - Line: 1497 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1497 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $threadnotesbox - Line: 30 - File: showthread.php(1524) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1524) : eval()'d code 30 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1524 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $ratethread - Line: 38 - File: showthread.php(1524) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1524) : eval()'d code 38 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1524 eval

Pilgrimage to the Mountain Basilica [ attn: Vee, William, Bertram ]
There were many things he wanted to add, many things he wanted to say, or even just point out, but at this point he was reasonable enough to figure out when the deck has stacked itself against him, it was apparent that occurred long before he even met the members of this group.

Call it stubbornness, call it an injured pride, call it what you wish but at this point in the game Bertram's discomfort within the group has left him in a position where the only viable course of action is silence. Oh there was anger inside him at this point, but it was an anger best left unvoiced for the time being. So once he had boarded the Bus he took up a seat and there he remained.

Mention of a rest stop, however, did draw his attention. His comfort upon the bus was such that any opportunity to get himself off the bus that didn't involve him having to walk around alone in the woods with an army of Lupines stalking him was more than suitable. "I could use a moment or two to stretch my legs if that is alright." He suggests to the driver, before he takes the time to adjust his tie and wait quietly.

Bertram might be Brujah but he knew enough to pick his battles. Just as he had opted out of the one before, he also opted out of pursuing what would have eventually led to one. It seemed far more prudent at this point to let things go, but not to forget, it was never so easy to forget. Not when Bertram was concerned.
[breaking post order because Vee would speak up, and I'm cool with keeping it broke it in favor of moving along a conversation, too!]

If Bertram thinks that silence is going to somehow salvage this situation, then he doesn't know the vampires with which he travels at all.

Which...he doesn't. And they don't know him. At least Vee, who only found out about the Brujah's existence when the trio of True Sabbat were called to the Temple, doesn't. All that Vee knows is what has been learned on this little road trip. A venture that has done absolutely nothing to create a bond between these disparate entities, let alone strengthen one.

No, all that Vee knows is that Bertram, in his attempt to discipline the Tzimisce childe, tried to send William tearing off into the wilderness, alone, injured, and possibly into the claws of waiting lupines. All Vee knows is that Bertram has been attempting to assert some sort of dominance over the Lasombra and the Tzimisce in his company, a pair not accustomed to taking orders from anyone, not even each other. Call it pride, call it a rebellious spirit, call it being willful Sabbat, call it what you will. That's just the way they are.

Vee looks up briefly from the work on the spine, from Brujah to what can be seen of Flood's shoulder and back down to that spine again. Those finely sweeping brows lift, and the Tzimisce pauses in showing the childe the finer points of making the bones of thine enemy into a weapon to be used against future enemies.

"All that talk before, and now silence?" The shaking of that lovely head display of disappointment. "The way I see it, Bertram, you now find yourself at a crossroads. You can of course leave," this tossed out with a flick of one pale, long-fingered hand, as if the every idea is so distasteful the Tzimisce simply must hurl it away from their person post-haste. Then, looking up at the Brujah with those eyes the icy blue of a snowdrift's shadow, continues. "Or you can try to work with us."

That head tipping curiously to the side, those eyes wide with that look so like innocence the fiend wears with terrifying ease, Vee says. "Tell me, which will be your choice?"
[ We are going to move forward without a posting order to keep things moving. Players are still expected to post once per round, and are especially encouraged to do so promptly when their character is addressed or otherwise involved.

I plan on posting the rest of my week's availability when I get a schedule tomorrow night. At this point we are going to be moving forward to the final scene of the storyline, involving the arrival at the Cardinal's haven of any PCs still wishing to stay with the group. ]

The idea a deck has been stacked against any one of them can only follow a number of assumptions. It indicates that had Bertram played the same hand of cards in a different game the result would have varied. It hints that the vampires present would care for orders or criticisms from any other (even each other) as from him. It posits that the game is meant to be a fair one. And most importantly presupposes that this is a game at all.

In any case Flood's glance up at that rear view mirror and into the bus cabin is barely perceptible, visible only in the shift of his shoulders and his ear turning, the light refusing to touch and reflect his form in the glass. He seems ready to take Bertram's silence as a willingness to move along. He even looks like he is taking this with more restraint than the average scorned brute might, though there is a quirking of Flood's brow when he turns around to see a deeper fissure forming and resentment that might be fomenting in Bertram.

A slight that won't be forgotten. Oh, that puts him back on edge.

Flood is ready to move past it all, though, just as he had promised. A problem for another night. But it seems Vee has spotted a similar simmering ire and anger in the Brujah antitribu that the Tzimisce is intent on addressing. That or the silence has unsettled the fiend's own serenity. Maybe it is both.

Flood finds the truck stop exit. It has a waffle house that looks like the kind of place anyone without a long hauler's iron gullet wouldn't trust for anything but coffee. A weathered and near-dilapidated motel lies closer to the woods. And a gas station with far more diesel than unleaded pumps. Truck drivers are milling around, shouting and joking and otherwise carousing when not walking back and forth from their trucks to the various buildings, suspicious cars that may or may not be dealing drugs - may or may not because some of them have women of the night coming and going from the lodging house as well.

Broken down gazelles, wallowing hippos, and snaggletoothed crocodiles jockeying for a drink of the economic runoff coming through. Rogue lions and hyenas passing through and looking for a quick a fix before moving on to the next oasis. That is what comprises this place when the apex predators roll to a stop near the edge of the parking lot.

This is where Flood stands from the driver's seat to watch the results of an ultimatum given. He leans back to sit against the dashboard of the bus, folding his arms over his chest.
Vee's William is a studious sort since he became a Cainite. The enormous man who is known mostly for his size and his silence has been noted by those who interact with him as someone who keeps his mouth shut, tries to listen to and learn everything that he can so that he doesn't fuck up and cost either him or especially his Sire in any way. And studious is exactly what he's been as the older Tzimisce is working the bones that were summarily ripped out of a Lupine's back into a flexible weapon of horror, eyes following every twist and flick of Vee's dexterous fingers to learn more about the art of Bonecrafting.

So intent is he on the molding work that he didn't even notice the beginning of the argument; he had tried not to pay attention because the tension had originated over him and his comment to Bertram, at least in his mind. He was at fault, and so it was best that he let the adults handle it and not try to make things worse.

Since he wasn't paying attention, he didn't notice the tension in the Brujah when he headed to his seat. He doesn't look up until Vee stops what he's doing, looks back to Bertram and sets down his stance on the newfound dissension in his own patented style. William looks from Vee to Bertram, and then to Flood who has stopped them at the rest stop and is now standing to see what happens from her.

William was not a stupid man, and he is not a stupid Cainite. He knows that this is an argument way above his pay grade, and while this is certainly something that will affect him one way or another he's not about to stick his foot in the situation and potentially aggravate it further. So he stays there, quiet, watching to see how this plays out.

Always thinking, Vee's William is.
"The anger of a good man is not a problem. Good men have too many rules."
"Good men don't need rules. And today's not the day to find out why I have so many."
"I do not bathe in the blood of my enemies, unless it serves the purpose of intimidating my foes. I do not kill unless it serves to benefit me in some way." He says in response to Vee. "I realize there are many among us, and my clan is particularly known for their violence and brutality, but a revolution is more than the violence that drives it, it is about achieving something of lasting value. So little of this has been handled in the manner I would have handled it, and I must admit I find this distressing enough, but we set off on this trip in order to speak with the Cardinal (Or Archbishop, I forget which), and I hardly think it would be fitting if we chose to part ways before that point. So we will see which direction the wind blows us, and ultimately decide then."

She was the only one to directly address him, so she was the only one to get an answer (naturally, you can't answer someone who never asked you a question to begin with, can you?).

When they come upon the stop Bertram is one of the first ones off, letting his eyes wander over the potential prey scattered around the place, without saying much.
[ That seems as good a place as any to close the thread. I'll post either late tonight or some time tomorrow when I know what my schedule will be. We'll take the last scene from there. ]