The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 33 - File: global.php(816) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(816) : eval()'d code 33 errorHandler->error
/global.php 816 eval
/showthread.php 24 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 874 - File: global.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 874 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5014 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5014 errorHandler->error
/global.php 874 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 6953 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 6953 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5041 is_member
/global.php 874 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "mybb" - Line: 1919 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1919 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_indicators.php 41 my_set_array_cookie
/showthread.php 626 mark_thread_read
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 6953 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_user.php 733 is_member
/inc/functions_post.php 399 purgespammer_show
/showthread.php 1063 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(467) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(467) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 467 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 700 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 700 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 705 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 705 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 743 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 743 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(467) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 700 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 705 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 743 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "invisible" - Line: 1497 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1497 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $threadnotesbox - Line: 30 - File: showthread.php(1524) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1524) : eval()'d code 30 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1524 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $ratethread - Line: 38 - File: showthread.php(1524) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1524) : eval()'d code 38 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1524 eval

December: Cracking the Bone
[[Apologies, guys. I meant to have Javed participate in this more but it was bad timing with my little face-first trip to the pavement last weekend, and I put off participating when I shouldn't have.]]

Keisha has been silent throughout the whole of the discussion regarding the Cold Crescent. The truth of the matter is that she is deeply conflicted about the city sept and has been ever since horror (and Horror) took the lives of the Guardians on the 43rd Floor in front of her, Ingrid, Thomas and Caleb. There is a part of her which hates the place for the agony that it has caused both her and others. There is another part that fears it, and what it could become once again should it be assaulted by the Wyrm. Her mind held together the last time only by the strength of her packmates. Should it happen again, would even that be enough, or would she finally break?

But there is that other feeling. It both terrifies and empowers Keisha that, in her belief, her own destiny seems tangled up within that of Cold Crescent. And the truth of the matter is that when it was empty, so was she. The more people who were there, the more she felt strengthened. And she loves the Sept of the Forgotten Questions, truly. But she knows where her soul is, and she would be compelled to follow it even if her alpha weren't already standing there.

And so that young girl, the youngest of the Desert Oracles (not even old enough to legally drink) rises and moves forward, takes the bone directly behind Phoebe and her Aunt. "To my last drop of blood, I will."

And thus her decision is made.

-------

There are none who would doubt Javed's intentions. The metis has already made his declaration publicly not long before this moment, when so many Garou are rising to move forward and take a stand to defend the sept of the city. If anyone even remotely wondered where he might fall on this matter, they just weren't paying attention.

However, there is something to be said for stating the intent formally. And thus, when the time comes he does strides forward, takes the bone. When he speaks...well, he's always formal and serious. But his words have a solemnity to them. These are more than just words. This is a vow, which is something the Strider doesn't take lightly.

"I will."

And it is passed on, and he returns to where he was.
"The anger of a good man is not a problem. Good men have too many rules."
"Good men don't need rules. And today's not the day to find out why I have so many."
Hector is grim as the others clamor for the bone. Tamsin at one shoulder and Thomas at the other are the only ones who hear him when he makes his decision. He says nothing and then he uncrosses his arms from where they'd locked themselves over his chest and stands from the rock he'd sat on all through the Cracking.

He stands with those who will.
Look. I have school. And RP. And all my other time is taken up by sheer, unreasoning panic. I don't have time for Reddit.
-- ixphaelaeon
Thomas watches the growing support for Cold Crescent steadily. It is not as though he isn't interested in what becomes of the sept, he's spoken with both Phoebe and Javed about it. Generally behind closed doors and without any real show of a definite opinion on what should be done beyond addressing the fact that there was a nightmare portal under the building.

Tonight he watches them gather for a time, but he remains still and silent at his alpha's side. When Hector uncrosses his arms and moves to join them, Thomas rises and moves with him. He is undeniably glad that they're going over there, but he matches Hector's pace and remains at his side. No bounding, no dramatic vows, no grinning at anyone already there. It is what he would have chosen, but he's still quite clearly only there because Hector is.
Well; Erich isn't all stoic and silent about it. He snaps that bone up, all but buzzing with excitement and joy and Weight Of Responsibility.

"I will," he avows. "I totally, completely will."
BECAUSE OF LIGHT AND DUTY AND REASONS.
Charlotte is rather more quiet than her packmate, just silent, her breeding <i>shining</i> in his shadow, and she says nothing really as he gets up and makes his case to the other wolves for the care and protect of Cold Crescent, the patrols and guards, the summons, the scheduling, the need to ensure that someone is always there. Quiet little mouse of a Silver Fang except there is no such thing as a quiet little mouse of a Silver Fang and so: shining little wolf, quiet and taut and wary and watchful as Erich speaks out, stands in the center of that great group of wolves and declares himself.

Quiet and quieter still until he takes the bone and vows that he <i>totally, completely will</i> and then Charlotte reaches for the bone before it can go any further from than from his hand to hers. Holds it lightly with her left hand, fingers running thoughtlessly over the grooves left behind in the bone by the teeth of the wolf who brought this animal down.

"Me too."

Is all she says, with a quiet little shrug, before she passes on the bone.
But my heart is wild and my bones are steel
And I could kill you with my bare hands if I was free.

- Phosphorescent, Song for Zula
No one should ever mistake Avery's humility in the face of praise for a lack of awareness of her own strengths. She knows that the purity of her blood and the grace of her totem, her words have an even greater impact than they would on her talent alone. She knows, too, that she has prodigious talents of persuasion.

After the opening howl, after the spirits are called to bless this place, the energy is high. The ground bears footprints and pawprints alike, and the air still seems to taste of the exuberant clapping and singing and howling of the garou. Her heart is thumping. She shifts from hispo into homid, fluid as all changes to the birth form are fluid, but she remains standing to one side of Ruby. Truth be told, it is Javed's calmly-shouldered duty to both protect and guide the former detective, to stand for her while she discovers this new nature, to answer for her mistakes, to teach her how to avoid them, but Avery would not consider herself an adequate packmate to the other fostern if she did not support him in that duty, and aid him. She would not consider herself a decent garou if she did not try to help Ruby.

They were all there, once.

--

Much is said, on a night that is almost mild, a night before a morning that will stun the city with its beauty. The weather while the sun is up, for a couple of brief, shining days, is almost balmy. They will wake to that morning tomorrow, as the full moon sets, and some will wonder if they brought such a day about with the gifts of their own spirits.

There are few grievances or challenges. Even with a bit of warmer weather, the days flicker by while the nights stretch on. The last festivals of light are on the horizon, and more will come on the night of the solstice. In that dark waiting, even those who live with rage seem more inclined to put aside whatever grudges they might call petty. With so many still reeling from recent burials, with the memory of the punishment rites still far too recent, not many stand to bicker about Who Is Fucking That Kinfolk or You Didn't Show Me Proper Respect or RehRehRehRehReh. They stand tight together, for warmth and for unity, a multitude of bodies buzzing with modern energy brought about by a song that some understand and some merely tolerate.

Avery sticks by the Falcons, and stays quiet.

--

When Erich stomps up to take the bone and just comes right out with the goal of re-opening Cold Crescent and organizing and really getting this stuff going, Avery wants to step forward and show her support, but she doesn't.

When Hector says he'll redouble the effort to figure out what that pit/mine/portal is, Avery wants to commend him, but she doesn't.

Javed speaks what he has spoken of to many: that Cold Crescent is a home. That to abandon it would be to disgrace those who have died for it. Avery wants to twine her own words around her packmate's, but she doesn't.

Some focus more on figuring out the pit, others on essentially making Cold Crescent an 'official' sept again, and Avery has thoughts, but she keeps them to herself for now. She does not think that her views are unknown... or she does not want to sway those around her one way or the other. She knows there are many who listen, but tonight, she wants to listen. She wants to remember who says what, and the passion in their voice or eyes, the dedication they show even in uncertainty and darkness. She will speak tonight in front of the Talesinger about them. From the moment Erich takes the cracked bone in hand, she knows this.

--

Near the end, the Keeper of the Land asks them exactly who is going to lead this supposed almost-sept, who will protect it. And Avery hears the subtle difference in the two questions, and watches as those above, at, and below her own rank step forward with their vows.

This is when she joins the Cracking. When she joins them all.

"I will."
my whole life is thunder.
[My sincere apologies for how long this has been drawn out. I'm going to blame it on the time of year, but hopefully this won't be a recurring issue.]

As Cliaths, Fosterns, Adrens and more come forward to voice their support and protection for Cold Crescent, the energy of the Cracking has only grown more taut. A few, but only a vocal minority, have insisted that Cold Crescent is everything from a nice experiment, but an ultimate failure to a danger to the very fabric of the nation. One particularly vehement wolf all but frothed at the mouth until he snapped his jaws to punctuate his point, furiously growling, shaking from the effort not to frenzy.

No one spoke against him. Not directly.

His son was a Guardian at Cold Crescent.

For the past few months, the Great Alpha has spoken more at moots than in the past few years. It happens again now. He approaches Final Word for the bone, takes it, and once again, lays his paw over it. Once again, he changes inside to suit the language that most here will understand without difficulty. Once again, he speaks little, but says much.

"Build a sept. Two moons. Last chance."

With the weight of his paw, he pushes down, cracking the bone to splinters. And returns to his pack.

[If it's not clear:

1. You can re-open Cold Crescent as a real sept. As before, it will still be allied with Forgotten Questions.
2. That means you need to rebuild it: leaders and all. As before, these leaders will still to some degree answer to the leaders at Forgotten Questions (mostly at moots or in situations that directly affect the caern), but otherwise will be pretty self-governing.
3. The Sept Leader, Warder, and Guardians will need to be NPCs; I'll explain my reasoning for this in another OOC post but I think most of you will get it intuitively. I'll try to make some IC posts about the process as well.
4. That means that the following roles can be held by PCs: Master of Challenges, Master of Rites, Keeper of the Land, and potentially more. Stick with those 3 to begin with.
5. The Great Alpha will be expecting to hear more from you at the February moot.
6. Have fun. Email me questions.]
my whole life is thunder.