The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 33 - File: global.php(816) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(816) : eval()'d code 33 errorHandler->error
/global.php 816 eval
/showthread.php 24 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 874 - File: global.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 874 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5014 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5014 errorHandler->error
/global.php 874 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 6953 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 6953 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5041 is_member
/global.php 874 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 500 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 500 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 505 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 505 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 500 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 505 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $alreadyvoted - Line: 574 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 574 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 6953 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_user.php 733 is_member
/inc/functions_post.php 399 purgespammer_show
/showthread.php 1063 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(467) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(467) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 467 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyreplyownthreads" - Line: 642 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 642 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 700 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 700 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 705 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 705 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(467) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyreplyownthreads" - Line: 642 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 700 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 705 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 743 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 743 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 743 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 743 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "invisible" - Line: 1497 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1497 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $threadnotesbox - Line: 30 - File: showthread.php(1524) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1524) : eval()'d code 30 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1524 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $ratethread - Line: 38 - File: showthread.php(1524) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1524) : eval()'d code 38 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1524 eval

Poll: Who wants to rule the world?
This poll is closed.
Let the PCs decide!
16.67%
1 16.67%
Bring on the NPCs!
83.33%
5 83.33%
Try something new!
0%
0 0%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Chantry Government
Hey guys!

So, I would like to do something with the Chantry, because as it stands right now it's kind of empty and static and no one is officially in power and I think most of the active characters in the game have very little knowledge of or connection to the place. (Not to mention the fact that no one has administrative access to the security system anymore.)

As far as I see it, there are three different paths I could take with this. But before I really start plotting things out, I'd like to hear from you guys about which option you find the most appealing.

Option 1: Officially hand the property over to the PCs.

This is the self-governance option. There will be no NPCs to deal with (at least as far as the Chantry is concerned.) You guys decide how you want to run the place. You will be in charge of things like security and rules and whether or not to change or add new features to the property. This is not all that different from how things have been going so far, but I'd be removing the barrier of uncertainty that the current situation (with Annie still being the legal owner) has caused. The one caveat of course is that your characters would actually have to step up and be more involved. Which could be either fun or tedious, depending on one's point of view.

Option 2: Bring in full-time resident NPCs.

This is probably the easiest of the three options, since it will involve turning a lot of the general responsibilities over to NPCs, leaving you guys free to just play your characters and not worry about whether or not someone remembered to strengthen the wards or pay the property taxes. It will also mean having more NPCs around, which... could be either good or bad, depending on how you feel about NPCs. There will be more potential mentors for your PC. More allies in times of conflict. But they will also bring an outside influence to the game, having goals and opinions of their own.

Option 3: Wild Card (aka: do something completely different.)

This one will be a surprise. If you feel like rolling the dice and trying something new. Big Grin
I like the idea of having NPCs in charge (even though Grace does not, ever, ever, think that would be a good idea, lol) just because the logistics of keeping the Chantry safe (warded and such) is a big hassle.

I have thought about going and refreshing the wards, but the one time I tried to do that with Ginger, it was pretty pathetic. Long-lasting spells take a shitload of successes, meaning that the only wards Grace could make would last a month, at which point dice and ST involvement would ensue again. And again. And again. Every single month. Which is like, the height of dull and annoying.

Of course, Grace is now Arete 3 which changes things a bit. But still, it's a lot of work.

I am not discounting the idea of a Wild Card, because that could still end up having NPC caretakers for whatever. But yeah, whatever happens, I would enjoy the lack of necessary upkeep.
I was actually really torn between which way to vote because I could see the NPC route being a nice, generally hassle free way to go but - the something new/wild card option is like a big red 'PRESS ME' button for me. So I sided with one, but I would actually be totally open to the prospect of something new as well in regards to the Chantry.

So my real vote is sort of - a combination of NPC and wild card. Tongue
Hmm.

So, Sera actually has a connection to the place and I value that history and I'm not sure that I want a whole cabal of new NPCs showing up and taking over, but ensuring that the water bill is paid is probably a good thing - and giving current PCs more of a connection to the place would be cool too.

I suppose I am in favor of a hybrid thing, which may be the wild card? An NPC or two to ensure consistency, but not an overwhelming clutch of new NPCs. Pieces of the chantry's security still in the hands of the PCs. (For example: I have had Sera learn correspondence so that she can ward the place and I am interested in figuring out how she will conceptualize the rituals to hold her will, especially since she doesn't really have anyone around to teach her. I expect she'll go all the way back to how Jim warded that motel room way back in the beginning.)

And I think there's some interesting potential for conflict with NPCs / wild card that I kinda like.

PS - I didn't vote, actually. Since it sounds like my answer is All Of The Above, Please.
But my heart is wild and my bones are steel
And I could kill you with my bare hands if I was free.

- Phosphorescent, Song for Zula
Liz actually brought up a good point that I should have mentioned. Having NPCs at the Chantry doesn't necessarily preclude PCs taking an active role in things there. Working together is totally an option.

To elaborate on option 3: I had a few different scenarios that I was tossing around as potential ideas. Some are more dramatic than others. But given how people are voting so far (Option 2 with the possibility for something unexpected,) I'm getting the sense that you guys would prefer something with a balance of both stability and change. Which is pretty much in line with what I was expecting. So if we go with Option 2, I will likely work in something from my list of alternate ideas at some point (but it won't be as game-altering as, say, burning the chantry to the ground.)
My two cents: NPCs should be 'in charge' of the chantry (including granting access, etc.) but they should be very background. Ie, you don't need to have them NPC'd for every little introduction, hand-stamping, and interaction. That doesn't mean PCs can't also take up positions of caretaking and leadership there, but 'top tier' NPC governance of the chantry should stay NPC'd by the admin, I think.

But I agree with Liz, too: a whole cabal of new, unknown NPCs who lock the place down would just make the chantry feel even more inaccessible to PCs. Honestly, most day to day operations of the chantry could be handled by a couple of consors and maybe an overseeing caretaker NPC.
my whole life is thunder.
Thank you all for the feedback! Once I get all my ducks in a row, you should start seeing some Chantry updates/NPC arrivals. I will keep you all posted.